All wine lovers should be in a position to know the ideal temperatures to store their wine. Whether it is red wine, white wine, or sparkling wine, they should all be stored at their optimal environment.
To maintain the wine’s flavor and aroma, as well as its other characteristics, it should be kept at the correct wine temperature.
For every bottle of wine that you store, it is important to know their required temperature range in order to avoid prematurely aging or wine spoilage.
Let’s look at some of the conditions that will help us store our wines for a better experience.
- Ideal temperatures for serving and storing red wine
Red wines are best served at room temperature. The temperature varies from around 14ºC to 18ºC. For storage purposes, it is advisable to store your red wine at 55º Fahrenheit.
If you want to bring wine at the right temperature, you can cool them gently in the fridge or in a bucket of ice water, too.
- Ideal temperature for serving and storing white wine
White wine is best served when chilly or a little bit cold. Their serving temperature is around 4ºC to 8ºC. You can place your white wine in a fridge for cooling before taking it, two hours is the approximate time required for it to chill.
- Ideal temperature for serving and storing sparkling wine
Just like white wines, sparkling wines are served best when they are a little bit cold. The recommended wine temperature for serving them is around 4ºC to 8ºC.
- Different types of wines and their ideal temperatures
- Full bodied red wine: cabernet sauvignon, Red Burgundy, Brunello – 17ºC, Grand cru Bordeaux – 18ºC and Vintage port – 19ºC
- Light to medium bodied red wine: Beaujolis – 12ºC, Sherry – 14ºC and Pinot Noir – 16ºC
- Dry Whites: Chardonnay – 10ºC, White burgundy – 11ºC and Sauvignon blanc – 9ºC.
- Sparkling wines: vintage champagne – 8ºC, and sparkling wine – 6ºC.
- Required conditions for storing wine
When wine is stored at the required temperature, it gets better as it ages. Therefore, one important condition required for wine storage is as follows; store wine away from a heat source so it will not oxidize and loose its real taste.
Also, a wine temperature should be maintained as much as possible, because any extreme fluctuation will lead to the wine losing its character. Wine is better off when kept in a dark place in the wine cellar or basement.
Storing wine under the right conditions will bring out the best experience. But also consider that the perfect wine temperature depends on a variety of factors such as level of fruit, tannin, and alcohol that the wine contains.
Follow the recommendations of the required temperature while storing your favorite vintage at all times for the most optimal drinking experience.