As one of the pioneers in the cooler industry, IGLOO has over 60 years of experience producing quality refrigerators, coolers, and various other thermoelectric cooling solutions.
As a matter of fact, their products are claimed to be found in 3 out of every 4 households throughout the US!
Maintaining such dominance calls for adapting to the changing interests of customers. Therefore, it is not surprising to find IGLOO coming out with a 30-bottle wine cooler that aims to beat the competition in terms of both quality and price.
Speaking of quality, the company believes that the combination of an efficient thermoelectric cooling system, a large number of high-capacity racks, and a sleek but stylish exterior, will provide users with the best combination of utility and elegance.
Key Features Of The IGLOO FRW312
- 9 removable racks allow for storage of up to 30 bottles at a time.
- Racks are chrome-plated for easy cleaning and resistance against rusting.
- Thermoelectric cooling replaces noisy compressors for greater efficiency, lower noise and lesser vibrations.
- Large and thick glass door ensures adequate insulation and visibility.
- Soft interior lighting for easy operation without risk of UV exposure to wines.
- Durable and sleek metal exterior improves the appearance of your home/office.
Installing the Cooler
While the not confined to free-standing use like its competitor from Haier, it is not very cabinet-friendly either. In fact, the user manual mentions the possibility of installing the unit in recesses/cabinets, but it doesn’t give detailed instructions.
Since most customers did not venture to install the unit in a cabinet, we shall focus on the free-standing installation only.
- Remove all packaging from the product. Users have noted that the unit comes with a “tacky”/”gaudy” IGLOO sticker pasted permanently to the front door. Since this sticker was not displayed in product images, some users felt the need to remove it as well.
- Once the packaging has been removed, check the product for any faults. Some users claimed that poor handling by the company or couriers had resulted in the front door coming loose. In order to avail of replacement/repair warranties for issues such as these, it is advisable to open all user-operable parts and check them thoroughly for defects.
- Place the cooler in an area with an ambient temperature of 61-90F that is not exposed to direct sunlight. In practice, most people had no problems keeping the product in their bedrooms or beside their office desks.
- Adjust the front legs so that the unit is stable.
- Remove the 9 shelves and any other parts placed inside the cooler.
- Clean out the interior (for details, see Maintenance section below). If you desire, you can also clean the wine cooler racks.
- Leave the unit in this position for about 2 hours to ensure that any imbalances caused in the cooling system due to shipping procedures are rectified automatically.
- Replace the racks and close the door.
- Plug in the power cord into a 120V-60A outlet.
- Run the cooler at default settings for another hour before commencing wine placement.
- Since the unit uses a thermoelectric cooling system, the extent to which the interior temperature falls depends on the temperature outside. Hence, the ambient temperature prescribed above (61-90F) corresponds to the optimal cooling range of the product.
- Avoid using extension cords with the product.
Using the Cooler
- Use the controls to turn on the LED lights inside the IGLOO FRW312. (for detailed instructions, see Control Panel section below).
- Open the cooler door and choose the racks which you wish to use. Since the unit is a single-temperature zone cooler, you can place your wine bottles in any order as long as the racks are not overcrowded.
- Begin placing the bottles on the racks by carefully placing each bottle in the small grooves provided in the racks.
- Once all the bottles have been placed, close the door and set the temperature.
- Avoid placing bottles in between the grooves since the space between racks is not meant to accommodate more than 3 bottles per rack.
Like its Sunpentown competitor, this IGLOO IGLOO FRW312 is a single temperature zone unit and hence, the controls are simple. They comprise of a LED display and three control buttons located to its right.
- Of the three buttons, the two in the centre handle temperature.
- To set the temperature, press the “up” button to raise the temperature by one degree and the “down” button to lower it by an equal magnitude. These changes are shown in the LED display to the right.
- The button on the far right turns the internal LED lamp on/off. Since there is no timer, the lamp will stay on until it is turned off by pressing the button again.
Cleaning and Maintaining the Cooler
Given its compact shape, cleaning the cooler is a task few users had any difficulty carrying out.
- Unplug the cooler and allow it to stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Open the door and remove all wine bottles present.
- Remove the racks and keep them aside.
- Remove the water box from the bottom of the cooler and dispose of any water and/or leaked wine.
- Prepare a solution of baking soda and lukewarm water.
- Use a sponge or cloth soaked in this solution to carefully wipe the interior walls of the wine fridge. Optionally, you may also wipe the glass door.
- Soak the racks in the soda solution and wipe them clean. Place them in a warm area to dry them out.
- Use mild detergent and a non-abrasive sponge to clean the water box. Allow it to dry in a sunny spot.
- Replace the water box and racks once the interior of the wine cooler as well as the racks and water box have dried out.
- Close the door and run the unit for about 15 minutes.
- Replace the wine bottles and close the door.
- The manual recommends adding two tablespoons of soda to about a quart’s worth of water to prepare the baking soda solution.
According to users, the wine cooler comes with a warranty period of 90 days.
- Good number of racks ensure 30-bottle capacity.
- Thermoelectric cooling avoids noise and vibrations.
- Good build quality and durable exterior.
- Accurate and useful temperature range for most variants of wine.
- Simple and easy-to-use controls.
- Unit supports only one temperature zone.
- Some users say the interior light is too dim.
Amazon is currently offering the appliance at a low price.
Many users noted the durable build quality of the product and its ability to run without making much noise. One user gifted the wine refrigerator to his friend to use as a bedside beverage-holder and his friend found that the unit did not disturb him.
Other users found that the unit could maintain the optimal temperature range when placed in an area with conducive ambient temperature. Finally, people found they could modify settings with ease.
Most users choose to place the qualities of the FRW312 wine fridge on a rather high pedestal.
Indeed, they noted that compared to other companies offering thermoelectric cooling with such a large bottle capacity, IGLOO managed to come up with a wine cooler that kept prices low while not compromising on any necessary features.
Coupled with its no-frills design and decent operability, these make this 30-bottle unit a good choice for people who need large storage capacities within a limited budget.
|IGLOO FRW312 30-Bottle Wine Collar with Digital Controls, Silver|
This IGLOO 30 Bottle Wine Cooler is perfect for big or small locations. The brand new design is modern and sleek and will look fantastic in any room.
$149.99used from: $129.45
Go to Store